Home Safety Tips
Where to Keep your Most Valuable Belongings
No matter where you live you should always be concerned with helping protect your home from break-ins. Safety of your family and your belongings should be the number one concern of any homeowner. With the economy in bad shape, the crime rate could rise. People who would never think of stealing from someone are turning to robbery as a means to get themselves through their time of desperation. These crimes are also happening in places that were previously considered very safe places to live. No matter where you live, you should take the necessary steps to help prevent burglaries and help protect your belongings.
The most apparent way to help prevent burglaries is to have a professional home security system installed. If a burglar knows that you have one, their fear of getting caught will overtake them and they could be much less likely to break into your home. Some thieves are not dismayed by the sight of a home security system. They will brazenly break in and grab as much of your stuff as they can. That is why you should not leave valuable items in places where they can be easily located and stolen during these smash and grab acts of desperation. Here are some home safety tips on where and where not to hide your valuable items in your house.
Good places to hide belongings
- Safe – Even though it is an obvious location for valuables, a safe will be very hard to access for any criminal trying to act as quickly as possible. There are even creative safes available that look like other objects like coke cans or book safes.
- Gun Cabinet – If you have a gun collection it is wise to keep them locked up in a cabinet with a combination. They are highly targeted by thieves looking to profit off of your goods. This is also a good safety measure to use if you have kids.
- In a bank – Do not have large amounts of cash lying around your house. This is obviously the first thing that an intruder will take if they see it. The best place to keep your savings is in a bank where only you can access it.
Bad places to hide belongings
- Under the bed – For some reason people think that hiding important items under the bed is a great method. This is just not true. This is often one of the first places that a burglar will look when they are in your home.
- In drawers or cabinets – This is another common place for someone carrying out a burglary to look for your valuables. If you are going to have cash in your house this is not a very creative place to hide it, and it can be found rather easily.
- In a coin jar – Some people like to stuff extremely small valuables inside a coin jar. This might seem wise. But this is an item that a burglar might steal anyway. They might not even realize that they have gotten something valuable until they get out and go over the items they have stolen.
These are just some of the home safety tips that you can follow to help keep your valuables safe in the event of a robbery. Another good idea is to have a home safety checklist that you can go over before you head out the door for work or to go on vacation. Getting into a routine is a great way to help prevent bad things from happening to you.
In addition to following these home safety tips, it is wise to get a home security system as well. They are simply the best way to help prevent burglaries from happening. They can also have the local police department at your home in minutes in the event that someone does decide to break into your home. Consult with a local security professional from Protect Your Home as soon as possible to have a system designed that is right for your home.
Related Articles on Home Safety: