Delaware Home Security Systems
The violent crime rate in the state of Delaware is almost 60% higher than the U.S. national average, and Delaware's property crime rate is nearly 25% higher than the national average. Crime overall in Delaware has shown a slight upward trend over the past 10 years, according to CityRating.com and UCRDataTool.gov.*
In 2009, there were 6,943 burglaries in Delaware, accounting for about 23% of all property crimes in the state. 2010 saw 7,515 burglaries in Delaware, accounting for just over 24% of Delaware property crimes. The rate of burglaries in the state is approximately 10% higher than the national average.
Burglary nationwide has dropped in frequency over the past decade, yet three of every four homes are predicted to be broken into over the next 20 years. Nationwide, there's a burglary every 15 seconds, on average.
The good news is that 87% of home burglaries are considered "preventable." In fact, there is much that the average Delaware resident can do to help protect their home and family from burglary.
Helping to Lower the Risk of Home Burglary
Burglars look for three main things when deciding where to strike: easy access, portable, valuable items (like electronics, jewelry, and cash), and easy escape. You can take several common sense steps to help deny burglars the access they want. Here are some tips:
- Deadbolt locks are your friends. Have them on every exterior door, including any door leading from your house into your garage. Make it a house rule that anyone leaving the house locks all doors and windows first.
- Don't make it obvious you're not home. If you're traveling, use light timers to switch lights on and off, have your mail collected, and have someone mow your yard. Burglars love seeing overgrown lawns and stuffed mailboxes.
- Cut back vegetation near ground floor windows, porches, and doors to make it harder for burglars to hide.
- Install motion-sensitive lighting over your driveway and walkways. These are often enough to scare off an intruder.
- Never leave a note on the door for a neighbor saying you're "out shopping," or that you'll "be right back." Call them or send a text message instead.
- Consider installing an ADT monitored home security system.
Home Security Systems in Delaware
Increasing numbers of Delaware homeowners are discovering for themselves that ADT monitored home security systems are convenient, affordable, and most importantly, effective. Single people who don't like coming home to an empty house, busy families with children, and older or retired residents find that they enjoy greater peace of mind when they have a monitored home security system.
The home security systems of today are technologically advanced, with great features like passive infrared motion detection, intuitive LCD control panels, and wireless keychain remotes complete with a "panic button".
Whenever a break-in, fire, or smoke is detected, the monitoring center is alerted immediately. Monitoring professionals contact the homeowner and call for emergency responders if necessary. The security system control panel even allows instant two-way communication with the monitoring center. This is great for confirming false alarms.
If you would like to find out more about monitored home security systems, call and speak with one of our security professionals at Protect Your Home today. Protect Your Home is the nation's number one ADT Authorized Premier Provider and has more than 150 installation centers across the U.S. Most people can call today and arrange for installation tomorrow. You do not have to wait or spend a lot of money to enjoy the peace of mind that comes from having a home security system that is on duty and monitored around the clock.