Kentucky Home Security Systems
In 2009, the violent crime rate in the Commonwealth of Kentucky was lower than the national violent crime rate by over 31%, while the state's property crime rate was lower by about 12%. From 2007 to 2009, the adult arrest rate decreased for some violent crime categories, but increased for burglary and larceny, according to CityRating.com and Justice.KY.gov.* The juvenile arrest rate for most crimes declined during that same time period.
Kentucky's justice department reported 29,701 burglaries across the state in 2009, which averages out to about 81 burglaries per day. That same year, there were 5,411 arrests in burglary cases in Kentucky, which resulted in 4,906 convictions.
Nationwide, there is a burglary approximately every 15 seconds, but 87% of home burglaries are considered preventable. There are many things that ordinary Kentucky residents can do to help lower their risk of being burglary victims.
Helping to Reduce the Risk of Home Burglary
Burglars are looking to get in, grab plenty of small, valuable items, and get out. Most burglaries actually happen during the day while residents are at work or school, and there is a lot you can do to make access to your home much more difficult for burglars:
- Lock up consistently. If you don't have deadbolt locks on all exterior doors, get them and use them. Make sure they conform to ANSI Grade 1 or Grade 2 specifications.
- When you travel, use light timers to switch lights on and off, making it appear as if someone is home. Have your mail and papers collected, and arrange to have your lawn mowed if you're gone long enough. To a burglar, a stuffed mailbox and an overgrown lawn is like an invitation.
- Don't leave valuable items in plain view of ground floor windows. Draw blinds or rearrange furniture so that these items are shielded from view.
- If you keep a lot of cash or have expensive jewelry in your home, invest in a safe that is bolted to the floor.
- Cut back overgrown shrubbery where burglars could hide, and install motion sensor lighting over your driveway and walkway.
- Consider the many benefits of installing an ADT monitored home security system.
Home Security Systems
Home security systems of today are technologically advanced, affordable, and effective. Increasing numbers of Kentucky residents are finding out for themselves how ADT monitored home security systems provide an additional peace of mind as it creates another layer of security to your home. Single people, families with children, and retired people find the extra security that comes with a monitored security system to be a worthwhile investment.
Today’s home security systems come with intuitive control panels for arming or disarming the system, or for speaking instantly with the monitoring center. These security systems also detect smoke and fire, alerting the monitoring center immediately, where professionals summon first responders.
Other great features include passive infrared motion sensors, and convenient wireless keychain remotes outfitted with a "panic alert" button for contacting the monitoring center when there is imminent danger. Older and retired people find this feature particularly reassuring.
Furthermore, the monitored home security systems of today can be customized to meet unique customer preferences. Some homeowners want extra control panels installed throughout the house for added convenience, while others want extra passive IR motion sensors.
If you are interested in finding out more about ADT monitored home security system, call our professionals at today. Protect Your Home is the nation's number one ADT Authorized Premier Provider with over 150 installation centers throughout the U.S. In many cases you can arrange for convenient next-day installation so that you can enjoy the benefits of ADT monitored home security as soon as possible.