Pennsylvania Home Security Systems
In 2009, the violent crime rate in the state of Pennsylvania was lower than the national average by just over 2% and the state's property crime rate was lower than the national average by just over 15%. The burglary rate in Pennsylvania in 2009 was lower than the national average by around 40%, according to UCR.PSP.State.PA.us and CityRating.com.*
In 2010, there were a total of 54,845 burglaries reported in Pennsylvania, which averages out to more than 150 burglaries per day across the state. The value of items stolen in burglaries in 2010 in Pennsylvania totaled $94,570,223, which comes out to about $1,724 in losses per offense.
Help Lower Your Risk of Home Burglary
Although burglary is a common crime -- both in Pennsylvania and in the U.S. as a whole -- there is much that the ordinary Pennsylvanian can do to help protect their home and family from burglary.
Burglars generally look for residences with easy access first and foremost, plus the presence of small, valuable items. They also target residences where escape will be easy. You can do quite a bit to help make access to your home difficult for burglars. Here are some tips:
- Use locks consistently. Make sure everyone in the house knows to lock all doors and windows whenever they leave the house and make sure you have deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- If your front door has windows in it or next to it, consider using a double key deadbolt system. Otherwise, a burglar could simply break out a window, reach in, and turn the thumb turn to open the deadbolt.
- If you have dense vegetation near windows, porches, and doors, cut it back so that it does not make a good hiding place for a burglar.
- Install motion sensor lighting over your driveway and over walkways around your house.
- Lock up any yard equipment, tools, bicycles, and barbecue grills in your garage or in a shed with a lock on it. If air conditioner thefts are problematic in your area (due to high scrap metal prices) consider installing a locking cage around yours.
- Consider the many benefits of installing an ADT monitored home security system.
Home Security Systems in Pennsylvania
Home security systems today are technologically sophisticated, easy to operate, affordable, and effective. Sometimes, just seeing a yard sign or window decal indicating that your home is protected by a monitored security system is enough to send a burglar somewhere else. Whenever a monitored security system detects a break-in, fire, or smoke, monitoring center personnel are instantly alerted. The homeowner is notified, and if emergency responders are needed, they can be summoned quickly.
Basic security systems come with one control panel and one passive IR motion detector, plus wireless window and door chimes that sound whenever the window or door is opened.
Security systems today also come with a wireless keychain remote that can be used to contact the monitoring center immediately if you are in imminent danger. The remote can also be used for other tasks like arming or disarming your home security system.
If you would like to know more about how an ADT monitored home security system can help protect your Pennsylvania home from burglary, call our professionals at Protect Your Home today. Protect Your Home is the nation's leading ADT Authorized Premier Provider with more than 150 installation centers nationwide. In many cases, you can call today and have a security system installed tomorrow, so that you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes from ADT monitored home security as soon as possible.