Posted: October 28, 2016
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced when fuel is burned — in cars, stoves, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges and furnaces. When it builds up — especially indoors — you can be poisoned. The challenge is that carbon monoxide has no color or odor, which is why CO poisoning is the most common type of fatal poisoning globally. Because of this, the onus is on homeowners to prevent and detect CO to protect their families. Awareness and early response are critical to ensure that if it does happen in your home, you react quickly to minimize the impact.
When someone breathes in carbon monoxide, it replaces the oxygen in his/her bloodstream. Without oxygen, cells in the body begin to die, and organs eventually stop working. The more CO someone breathes in, the faster poisoning occurs and the more dangerous it becomes.
Keeping as still as possible before receiving medical treatment for CO poisoning may help save your life. This helps conserve oxygen in your bloodstream, which is critical because your oxygen has been partially replaced CO as a result of the poisoning.
Treatment for Carbon Monoxide poisoning is usually performed at hospitals via oxygen therapy. If caught in time, the effects of CO poisoning can be reversed.
With the combination of actively preventing CO poisoning, awareness of symptoms and monitoring, you can protect your family. Make sure everyone in your home knows the ins and outs of Carbon Monoxide.