Neighborhood Watch Program
Great line of defense now for a safe community
There are many facets to helping protect your home properly from burglaries and vandalism. It is obvious that the best way to guard your house and your belongings is with a high tech security system. But, there are other things that can be coupled with that approach. One of the most effective ways to do this is with a great neighborhood watch program. A neighborhood watch is a concentrated effort to help protect a specific neighborhood in which the residents in the area and the local law enforcement work together. It is a great way to help protect a neighborhood because although police can patrol certain areas from time to time, they cannot constantly keep watch on a street. That is where the local volunteer residents on the block come in to play. They can be the police's eyes and ears when they cannot be there.
Neighborhood watches are used in neighborhoods nationwide
It is a national program that has been recognized by the National Sheriff Association since 1972. They aim to stop burglaries, vandalism and drug deals going on in their neighborhood. Getting a community involved is an important way to help eradicate crime in a certain area. When a neighborhood watch is started one person in the area is designated as the captain and will be in charge of running the program and deciding who is on watch on which night. They are most effective when they involve all of the members of a community no matter what age they are. It is also important that they involve all of the local businesses as well.
Here are some of the main benefits of starting a neighborhood watch in your community:
- Neighborhood watch programs create a great sense of safety in the community – Residents in your area will feel much more comfortable walking around the neighborhood at night when they know that thieves and muggers are being deterred knowing that they are constantly under the surveillance of the neighborhood watch.
- They help a community build a closer bond – Residents of the neighborhood will grow closer and more trusting of their neighbors through a neighborhood watch. Local residents will be able to meet neighbors they would never have had the chance to meet before, and may make new friends in the process.
- It is a deterrent – Criminals do not want to get caught. If they know that your neighborhood has a watch program they might be more likely to avoid it and commit crimes in neighborhoods that do not. Prevention is the best cure when it comes to crime.
- Helps form a better relationship with law enforcement – The fact that your watch program works closely with the police department means that they will be more aware of the crime in your neighborhood. This can lead to quicker response times and more patrols in your area.
- It helps prevent more than just crime – Your neighborhood watch can be helpful if there is an accident in your home and you become injured. They can also contact the fire department if there is a fire in your home.
- They are proven to work – FBI neighborhood watch program statistics show that communities that have a program are 43% less likely to have crime committed in their area. This alone should be enough motivation to start one in your area.
There are many positive results that come from having a neighborhood watch in your community. The sense of community and safety that it provides you and your neighbors will make everyone more relaxed in their homes. Feeling unsafe in your own home is one of the worst feelings that you can experience. If your neighborhood does not have a watch program there is no better time than now to call a meeting and get it started as soon as possible. There are countless websites where you can learn about neighborhood watch program ideas.
A neighborhood watch alone should not be your only line of defense for your home
A home security system designed and installed by a professional is an important aspect of keeping your family and your belongings safe as well. Schedule an appointment with a local representative from Protect Your Home as soon as possible. You may be surprised to see what kind of security system we can help you design and install that will fit both your lifestyle and your budget. If you want the peace of mind you deserve, you have to take all the necessary steps to achieve it.