Security Monitoring Services
Security monitoring is a must for a comprehensive home security system. This could include alarm monitoring, security guard monitoring, security camera monitoring or monitoring via a central facility. A thorough security evaluation is usually performed to determine the best way to monitor your home.
A residential home alarm system usually contains four components:
- Window/door sensors are placed near windows and doors and detect if an intruder enters there. The window detectors include glass break sensors.
- Motion detector is placed within the home or on the outside perimeter. They detect someone who is moving around in the protected areas.
- Alarm unit is where all of the parts of the alarm are centralized. If there is a problem with the system, it is most likely that the technician will check the alarm unit.
- Control panel is where you, as the owner, program and otherwise control the operation of the alarm system. This will have a keypad, display and may include a remote device for operation away from the home.
Additional components may include video monitoring cameras to maintain video surveillance on the home. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors will round out a complete home security system. Check out all of the monitored home security equipment.
The alarm company representative will work with you to determine the best place to install the components and the most efficient way to customize the alarm system to your needs.
Offered by most alarm companies, security monitoring services have the following advantages:
- Central monitoring systems help protect your home and the things you value the most 24/7, 365 days per year. With a professional network like ADT for example, there are dedicated customer monitoring centers supported by trained security pros and powerful equipment. This means that if for some reason a connection is interrupted, another center will immediately take over. You will experience no interruption of service.
- When you have a central monitoring system, what happens is that when an alarm is sounded, your security system instantly sends a signal to the monitoring station. Then a trained agent will contact you via a two-way voice monitor on the alarm or by telephone. You will be asked for your password. In the event you set off the alarm by accident, the security agent will clear it from the emergency dispatch.
- If security personnel cannot contact you because a phone line is busy, if they receive an incorrect password or if there is reason to suspect something amiss at your home, they will contact the local authorities to assess the situation in person.
- If a smoke, carbon monoxide detector or fire alarm goes off the signal will also be relayed to the central station where personnel who are equipped to handle the situation will be contacted.
- The advantage of having a security monitoring system is the speed of response (often even faster than calling 911), the reliability of the security system and the quality of the trained personnel.
- Consider connecting your home security system to a central security monitoring system. It could make the difference between life and death.